Rapturous response to Tedeschi’s Rhapsody in Blue at Sydney Opera House
Simon Tedeschi, one of Australia’s favourite piano virtuosos, brought the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall audience to its feet on 17-19 March 2023 with his performance of Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Andrea Molino.
- “A rampant rendition of Gershwin’s magnum opus. … Tedeschi and the SSO morphed and moulded for nearly 20 minutes to capture the sweeping range of this masterwork – at times bouncing to the steady tempo and procession of a strait-laced marching band, at others, speeding through the notes like they were simply in the way, relentlessly scrabbling to the end of the score.
It was a rampant, distinctive performance, committing to awe, pizzazz and mischievous invention – and you can’t help but feel that that’s the way it was intended.”[4.5 stars]
– Limelight magazine, March 2023 (full Limelight review here)
- “In his performance with Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Tedeschi’s love as well as expertise of Gershwin shone through. In all my years of listening to music, of classical music, jazz, musical theatre, and many other musical genres, I don’t think there is a single performance that I’ve enjoyed more. The collaboration between pianist, orchestra and conductor, all at the top of their games, and all utterly loving being together in this moment, came together as magic.
… it is perhaps the most outstanding performance over very many, that I have seen. Simon Tedeschi and his backing group (no disrespect meant to the SSO) played with intimate familiarity, understanding, academic and emotional knowing, and pure utter joy. There was no separation. Tedeschi and his grand. Tedeschi and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Andrea Molino and the SSO. Andrea Molino and Simon Tedeschi. They were melded as one.”
– Sydney Scoop, March 2023 (full review here)
- Tedeschi played passionately without swagger or exaggeration, but with humour, grace and style. … The performance had all the ease and playfulness inherent in this composition, yet was full of thrilling energy.”
– Classikon, March 2023 (full Classikon review here)
Simon Tedeschi performs Rhapsody in Blue next with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Andre de Ridder, in July and August 2023.