Simon Tedeschi’s recording of Mussorgsky’s piano masterpiece, Pictures at an Exhibition, earns ‘Editor’s Choice’ in the December 2015 edition of Limelight Magazine and 5 stars!
“Tedeschi… justifiably lauded as one of Australia’s finest [pianists], has stamped his mark on this much-loved and evocative masterpiece…
Coming so close on the heels of Scottish pianist Steven Osborne’s multi-award-winning recording with Hyperion in 2013, comparisons are inevitable. But whereas Osborne’s reading is brisk and brilliant, for me, Tedeschi’s more measured approach plumbs the emotional depths and finds the quirks and eccentricities of Mussorgsky’s subjects… giving us a more human interpretation.”
Limelight, December 2015 (read the full review here)
“an athlete of a pianist… Mussorgsky’s iconic work demands equal quantities of physical strength and artistic subtlety, a combination Australia’s Simon Tedeschi demonstrates with masterful balance… Tedeschi manages to fully encompass a work that almost seems too big for its instrument.”
Sydney Morning Herald, October 2015
- See also Simon’s live concert reviews in News.
- Watch and listen to Simon’s interview with Andrew Ford on Radio National’s The Music Show (5 Sept 2015)
- Read his Sydney Morning Herald interview with Nick Galvin here (Sept 2015)
- Selected as ‘CD of the Week’ on ABC Classic FM (14 Sept), Fine Music FM (28 Sept) and featured in ‘On the verandah’ on ABC Drive this week!
National concert tour dates
- Friday 2 October | Adelaide, Lunchtimes at Elder Hall | 1.00pm
- Thursday 8 October | Melbourne Recital Centre| 7.30pm
- Saturday 10 October | Duneira Estate, Mt Macedon, Victoria| 2.30pm
- Sunday 11 October | Sydney, City Recital Hall Angel Place | 3.00pm
- Saturday 7 November | Coffs Harbour Regional Art Gallery | 4.30pm
- Sunday 10 January, 2016 | Brisbane, Music by the Sea Festival (Sandgate Town Hall) | 1.00pm
- Thursday 28 January, 2016 | National Portrait Gallery, Canberra | 7pm
- Sunday 31 January, 2016 | Art Gallery of New South Wales | 8pm